In this article, I am going to describe a guide for you on how you can actually connect a laptop to a TV using an HDMI cable. Well, it is very simple and easy.
How do I connect my laptop to the TV using HDMI?
- First of all, power on your laptop and TV (both with the HDMI port) and then prepare an HDMI cable.
- Plug the HDMI cable into both of your laptops as well as the TV’s HDMI ports.
- Now you can see that your TV is on a blue screen and it is showing a No signal message.
- Then you have to press the Input or Source button which is available on your TV remote.
- Then simply use the Arrow icon to choose HDMI 1 which is on your TV screen.
- All done! Now you can see the same screen as your laptop on the TV.
What if I could not see the same screen as my laptop on the TV?
- If you do not see the same screen, then on your laptop’s keyboard, press the Windows logo key + R key together to open the Run box.
- Then type control in the box and then press on entering to open the Control Panel.
- Click on Display when view by Large icons.
- After that, click on Adjust resolution.
- Select TV from the Display drop-down menu.
- Then, change the Resolution to see the best view on the TV screen. Then click on OK to save your settings.
What if there is no sound from TV speakers?
If you cannot hear the audio from your TV, then you have to make sure that the sound is not muted first of all, and that the volume is set properly both on your laptop as well as your TV.
In addition to that, you have to set your HDMI audio output device as the default device.
- Right-click on the sound icon which is at the bottom right of your laptop’s screen. Then you can click on Playback devices.
- Then highlight your HDMI audio output device and then click on Set Default.
(If you cannot see your HDMI audio output device, then you have to right-click on the blank area and tick on Show Disabled Devices.)
Still, there is no sound?
If you have applied all the settings and still there is no sound from your TV’s speakers, then I highly recommend you to update your HDMI audio output device driver.
You can also choose to download the latest driver from your device manufacturer’s official site. Although, it is not that easy as it sounds. It requires you to find the correct driver and then download it manually.
If you are not comfortable playing with the device drivers, then I recommend you to download Driver Easy. It is a tool that detects, downloads, and installs any of the driver updates which your computer wants.
To update your drivers with Driver Easy:
- You just have to click on Scan Now button.
- Then it provides you with a list of drivers that you need to update.
- Then click on Update.
- The correct drivers will be downloaded.
- You can then install them, whether manually through Windows or do it all automatically with the help of Driver Easy Pro.
That is all folks! I hope this article helped you and you solved how to connect your laptop to a TV by using HDMI.