Several users are getting the “DISM Error: 87” when trying to run DISM on Windows 10 from an elevated Command Prompt.
Even though the problem is also encountered in the past Windows version, the frequency of reports on Windows 10 is much higher.
What is DISM?
DISM stands for Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM.exe). It is basically a command-line tool utilized for servicing and getting ready pictures.
These pictures include Windows PE, Windows Recovery Environment, and windows setup. In simple words, the DISM is a system management tool that can be utilized for resolving corrupted system documents.
4 Solutions to DISM Error 87 Windows10
In the following section, we will list several solutions to DISM error 87. In the event that you have the same difficulty, try these solutions.
Run the command using an elevated command prompt
Some people say that they encounter the DISM error 87 when they do not run Command Prompt as administrator.
So to solve the error 87 DISM Windows 10, try to run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box.
- Type “cmd” in the search box and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open up a Run dialog box.
- When prompted by the UAC (User Account Control), choose Yes to grant administrative privileges.
- Inside the raised Command Prompt, type your command and press Enter to run it.
You can also refer to the post Command Prompt Windows 10: Tell Your Windows to Take Actions to know more ways to run Command Prompt as administrator.
After running Command Prompt as an administrator, type the command to proceed and check whether the problem DISM error 87 is solved.
Perform a repair install
If you performed the steps above without much of any result, almost certainly, a few documents belonging to DISM (or some different system files) are corrupted and should be reinitiated.
Since you can’t use DISM to scan and repair corrupted system files, you’ll need to use a different approach.
- First Download the Windows 10 ISO file from here
- Save it on your PC, and preferably on your desktop at first.
- Mount the ISO file.
- Now double click on the record setup.exe to start the repair – install from the mounted drive.
Check if the Windows 10 DISM error 87 issues happen.
Repairing Operating System or Reinstall Windows
At least one more of your system documents may be corrupted. Now a day everyone uses the internet on his or her PC and the risk of your PC downloading virus files has maximized. These system files sometimes cause trouble and corrupt different system files. In such cases, the DISM may stop working properly and you will face issues. Follow the below steps to encounter this problem.
- Click on the Start Menu button on the search bar Type control Panel and then click on the “Update & Security” settings.
- Go to the “Recovery” section.
- Then Under there, you will see “Reset This PC”, click on Get started.
- A popup menu will open up it will give you two options first one is “Keep my files” (Meaning:- It will keep your all files even on C drives, but only remove apps which you installed and settings setup) and another one is “Remove everything” (Meaning:- It will remove your PC / Computer all files like Personal files, Apps & Many more)
- Now Click on the “Keep my files” (Recommend). Give some confirmation.
- Wait until the system has been restart.
I hope using this method your problem will be solved and not get DISM error 87. If you still getting the error, follow the below step.
Install the latest Windows updates
Sometimes this problem can be caused by a bug in the operating system which is why you need to make sure that you are running the latest version of Windows 10.
- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box. Then, type “ms-settings: windows update” and press Enter to open the Windows Update screen of the Settings app.
- Inside the Windows Update tab, click on Check for updates and follow the on-screen guidelines to install each pending update.
- Once every pending update is installed, restart your computer
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool (DISM) is an administrator-level, command-line executable accessible in Windows which can be utilized to fix your Windows picture or to change Windows installation media. It can mount Windows images in. wim, and, or.
Read more: How to Fix No Route Error on Discord?