Local channels are the basis of the TV package. They keep you update with the regional news and sports coverage, and on top of all with the unique events in your city, town, or state.
Now, if you’re planning to switch to other TV services and to cut the cord of a former TV cable, there are a handful of elements to keep in mind.
There are various avenues you can select to obtain access to local channels. Some of these involve a paid streaming service such as Hulu + Live TV, whereas others require supplementary hardware like an antenna. Roku is the most popular among all of them.
It offers a vast range of free and paid streaming apps and hosts a lot of local channels from its Roku Channel Store.
How to Get Local Channels on Roku?
Below are listed some ways to get local channels on Roku:
Official Local Roku TV Channels
Firstly, you have the option of Roku’s own full packed list of local channels.
These days, there are 100 available channels on Roku including News 12, Boston 25, and many others. With 5 star ratings that help you to select the worktable channel for you.
You have to type local in the search bar to dig into the list of local channels. This list is constantly changing and is regional-specific as well.
- The best way is to log in to Roku’s Website via the browser and see the details and reviews of the available networks.
- Whether some are free and others are paid and it offers both live streams and video clips of the latest news.
- After knowing all, you can directly install it from the website.
Through Third-party apps
When you can’t find your favorite local channel on the list then you can use third-party channels which you can easily access from Roku’s channel store.
Haystack TV is a great option for all viewers that offer a personalized feed of both the local or world news from more than 200 TV stations. In the local feed, Haystack delivers 150+ news stations.
The most well-known are CBS best-known affiliates:
- San Francisco’s KPIX, Los Angeles’s KCAL, and Chicago’s WBBM.
- Haystack gives you the ability to choose your preferred news sources, location and to follow the latest topics.
NewsON is a free app and is also available on other platforms.
It offers live streaming and as required local newscasts and local news video clips covering more than 170 markets, 200 local news channels, and around 83% of the entire population.
- On the other hand, the downside of this app is the only availability of news channels.
- For streaming movies, sports, and your other desirable content you’ll have to look for another solution.
FuboTV is another prominent live TV service and requires a monthly subscription. Mainly for sports addicts and delivers 70+ sports-oriented channels.
- No ABC Network programs are included but enable you to watch local CBS, Fox, and NBC channels wherever you want.
- As it is a paid subscription TV service, it provides you with several standard packages.
SlingTV is the internet TV service that was first available in the United States in 2014.
It is well known for providing affordable and reliable internet TV service and has several million subscribers around the nation-state.
It offers 2 subscription plans namely Sling Orange and Sling Blue, its menu is based on both Fox and NBC channels.
If you don’t want to select the monthly subscriptions then you can pick to install this OTA Antenna app.
- This option is available only for TV sets with Roku OS.
- Follow the instructions on the TV to connect an antenna and enjoy local channels.
Read more: How To Connect Roku to Wi-Fi Without Remote?