Need to learn how to reduce free up RAM after seeing messages that your Windows 10 PC is low on memory? Don’t fear we’re here to help.
When you use up all of the available RAM on your computer, you may notice that your device struggles to complete tasks. If you find that your computer’s applications are frequently crashing and it takes longer to do simple tasks, then you might be wondering how to free up RAM on your computer.
- 1 What is RAM?
- 2 How To Reduce Memory Usage Windows 10?
What is RAM?
RAM stands for Random Access Memory is stored on a memory chip that is typically found on the motherboard. This where your computer stores short-term data.
RAM is the hub of capacity for all active and running programs and processes. Your computer utilizes that data it has put away in RAM to finish tasks while simultaneously receiving and performing different functions.
How To Reduce Memory Usage Windows 10?
RAM is volatile, you’ll lose its contents when your computer closes off. Anything you need to keep should save to permanent storage, similar to a hard drive or -state drive.
Restart your computer
This is a trip you’re probably familiar with, yet it’s famous on purpose.
The first thing you can attempt to free up RAM is restarting your PC. When you restart or turn off your computer, all of your RAM (stored data) will be wiped clean and programs will be rebooted.
This can clear out some processes and programs that are running behind the scenes, taking up your RAM storage.
- Click the Windows symbol and click the Power icon, select “Restart”.
- Wait for the computer to restart.
Close unnecessary programs
In the event that the high memory usage is caused by the PC running different programs at the same time, users could close the program to solve this issue. Or if a program occupies too much memory, users can also end this program to solve this problem.
- Similarly, open Task Manager.
- At that point right-click the application you need to end up under Processes.
- And choose the End task.
Change your Windows 10 for the best performance
- First Right-click on the “Computer” icon and then select “Properties.”
- Now select “Advanced System settings.”
- Go to the “System properties.”
- Select “Settings”
- Choose “Adjust for best performance” and “Apply.”
- Click “OK” and Restart your computer.
Disable Programs Running from Startup
Disabling programs running at Startup will effectively decrease the system load and saving quite a lot of CPU memory space.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys, select “Task Manager”.
- Click on Startup in the Task manager window > Right-click the applications that you don’t want to run at startup and select “Disable”.
Stop Running Background Apps
The following things that could be taking up RAM are your applications that are set to automatically run out of sight. You may have used your computer for years before noticing some of these apps taking up your RAM storage. This can quickly exhaust your memory, battery, and data bandwidth.
To stop background apps:
- Go to computer settings.
- And Click on the “Privacy” category.
- Now look down the panel on the left side to “Background Applications.”
- Turn off any apps you do not use.
Set Registry Hack
This feature can delete page file at shut down to deliver virtual memory.
- Press the “Windows + R” keys and then type “Regedit” to open Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management.
- Discover ClearPageFileAtShutDown and right-click it to modify its value to 1, and afterward click OK to save it.
- Final Restart the PC to boot up the Registry Hack setting.
Why my RAM usage is so high?
Your RAM usage is so high because using RAM is free. Present-day operating systems go to great lengths to use however much RAM as possible unless if they have no other decisions.
Just RAM that is being utilized can make your system run quicker and maintain an unnecessary I/O. Free RAM is no better than RAM sitting on a shelf.
Does Windows 10 use a lot of RAM?
You’re running a 32-bit operating system at that point with 4GB of RAM installed you’ll only be able to access around 3.2GB (this is because of memory addressing limitations).
Everything except the cheapest and generally basic Windows 10 systems will come with 4GB of RAM.
Read more: How to Change Discord Text Color?