Whenever you guys are out on a search to buy a used iPhone, you will want to check if your new or used Tell If iPhone Is Unlocked or not. There are three ways to inspect and check if the iPhone you are buying is unlocked or not.
Do you know what does an “Unlocked iPhone” mean? An iPhone which is unlocked is not allied with any particular cell phone service provider and that is why it can easily connect to any carrier. These unlocked iPhones when are sold after usage, these are worth more than the locked iPhones.
If you have bought an iPhone through a carrier on a contract with anyone, then that iPhone tends to be locked until the contract you have made is over and the amount is paid in full.
In this article, I will tell you all three methods to check if your iPhone is unlocked, through Settings, through the SIM Card, and through an online tool. Let’s get onto the methods now.
- 1 Some General Methods to check if your iPhone is Unlocked or Not
- 2 Using another Carrier’s SIM Card
How To Check If Your iPhone is Unlocked By The Use of Settings
For this method, you only need an iPhone powered on and security unlocked. Follow the below-mentioned steps to check if your iPhone is unlocked or not through your iPhone settings.
- Open the Settings application on your iPhone on which you want to check the unlock status.
- Locate and select the “Cellular” setting.
- Tap on the “Cellular Data” options.
- In the window of “Cellular Data”, if you see the option which says “Cellular Data Network” or “Mobile Data Network” then congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked. If you don’t see this “Cellular Data Network” option, then your iPhone is locked.
There are some cases that have reported that this method is not very accurate.
In fact, there are reviews that have proved that this method is totally inaccurate. But I recommend you to have a check on this method as well; maybe it would work for you as it did for some people.
Some General Methods to check if your iPhone is Unlocked or Not
TRY CALLING YOUR CARRIER
This is considered as the most reliable way to determine whether your iPhone is unlocked or locked by calling your carrier.
Once you make it up and get connected to an actual customer service rep then most importantly remember to ask them to verify the status of your iPhone and provide them with any important information that is required. Contact me if not solved yet.
It is possible that most likely they ask you to provide them with your account password and your iPhone’s IMEI number which can have found in SETTINGS > GENERAL > ABOUT > IMEI-.
Think about the conditions in which you bought this iPhone
If you have bought your iPhone in wholesale directly from the Apple Company or from a carrier, then your iPhone is unlocked. On the other hand, if you bought your iPhone on a carrier’s plan, then your iPhone is said to be locked.
- iPhones which are purchased from third-party stores/sellers such as sellers found on Amazon or other services like this will usually have some form of documentation in the title or description of the iPhone which will be telling you if your iPhone is unlocked or not.
- If you have bought a second-hand iPhone from a friend of yours or a classified seller, first of all, you should ask them that if the iPhone is locked or unlocked before purchasing it from them.
Consider your iPhone’s service plan currently
If your iPhone is on a prepaid or “pay as you go” plan, then your iPhone is probably unlocked.
On the other hand, if you and your iPhone are on a two-year contract or something similar to this, then your iPhone is probably carrier licked until you successfully pay the whole amount.
Using another Carrier’s SIM Card
- You will have to buy a SIM card for a different carrier. Just take for example that you use AT&T or TMobile SIM card, buy a Verizon or Sprint SIM card. Make sure that the size should be the same as the SIM you are currently using.
- Press and hold your iPhone’s power button until it asks you “Slide to power off” and then just swipe right in order to power off your iPhone.
If you are using an iPhone X, you will have to hold the Power button and any one of the Volume buttons until this switch appears.
- Locate the SIM card slot tray, take the SIM eject tool that came with your iPhone or finds a small paperclip and straightens it up to open up the SIM tray for you.
- After pushing the tool into the small hole on the SIM tray, it will pop out for you. Pull the SIM tray out of the iPhone very gently.
- Remove the current SIM and replace it with the new one you just bought.
- Make sure the new SIM is fixed completely then place and slide the SIM tray back into the iPhone very gently. Push it until it completely fixes into the iPhone.
- Turn on your iPhone by holding down the Power button until the Apple logo appears.
- Open up the Dial Pad Phone application on your iPhone. If you see a message requesting you an “Activation Code”, a “SIM Unlock Code” or any other similar error before opening the Phone app, then it is sure that your iPhone is locked.
If you try to call on any number and it results in an error message such as “Call cannot be completed as dialed” or any other similar issue, your iPhone is locked. And if you are able to call successfully, your iPhone is unlocked.
These were the three methods I wanted to share with you. You can use any one of these methods to check if your iPhone is locked or unlocked. Official support.