It is the social responsibility of the firms that own social media apps to protect minors from illicit content and spamming so, you can change your age and username on TikTok. You might know that for creating a social media account you have to obtain a certain age limit.
Like all other social media networks requirement of age, TikTok is no different.
How to change your age and username on TikTok?
TikTok age restrictions
You need to be at least 13 years old to sign-up on TikTok. If you are younger than this and create an account through back door TikTok app will soon delete your profile.
In this case, Tiktok also strengthens its restriction on changing the ability of your birthday to prevent minors from obtaining features that are intended for adults.
These include direct messaging, sharing videos, purchasing digital gifts, and TikTok Livestream broadcasts. Many youngsters made their accounts by lying about their age to access this extra functionality.
In 2019, TikTok took the step to delete the profiles of those users who are under the age of 13.
This is done with the settlement of $5.7 million with the Federal Trade Commission for breaching the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
- So, TikTok disabled this option and made it nearly impossible to change your birth date on the app because the in-app options of updating your birth date are unavailable, and may b it is easier to go for a new account.
- Remember that even after updating the birth date on TikTok will not affect the already-on parental controls.
- One drawback of this step is for those adults who had rushed for signup and entered a fake date of birth and are now restricted by the app.
Age requirement for having TilTok account
For making a Tiktok account you need to be 13 years old, one step further, Tiktok puts in-app age limits on particular features.
- You must have at least 1000 followers and your age must be 16 years old to start a Livestream.
- Similarly, to get virtual gifts during a Livestream from fans you need to be 18 years old.
Read more: Best Alternative TikTok Apps
The solution to correct your Age on TikTok
This update is time taking and you have to rely on TikTok’s support team to update your age on your profile.
Follow the guidelines provided by the TikTok team itself:
- Initiate the app on your phone.
- Open your Profile.
- In the upper right corner, there is a three-dot icon, Tap on it.
- Scroll the menu to find the Support section.
- Go to report a problem.
- When you do this step, TikTok needs your age verification.
- You can use your Government-issued ID card or a passport, whatever works in the case.
How can you change the username on TikTok?
A username helps other TikTok users to identify or tag you. It is simply a name that is visible on your profile on TikTok. At the time of making an account on TikTok, it is a usual practice of users to choose a username and later dislike it.
Whether you have an Android phone or IOS device, you can change your username on TikTok by going to the account settings menu.
But remember that once you update your TikTok username, then you will have to wait for a month to change it again.
So, try to make it unique because no two users on TikTok share the same username.
- Go to the TikTok app on your phone and log into your account.
- In the bottom-right corner of the screen, go to the Me icon in the main menu.
- Tap on Edit profile.
- Select a username Enter a new username you want to be and delete your previous one.
- Then Tap Save.
Read more: How to Use Tiktok on PC and Mac Device?